Major General Gregory F Jones
California Air National Guard
Major General Gregory F. Jones
Maj. Gen. Gregory F. Jones serves Commander, California National Guard. In this role, he is the primary advisor to The Adjutant General on all programs, strategic planning, and operations affecting the California Air National Guard including five wings and more than 4,500 military and civilian personnel serving at ten locations. General Jones is also dual-hatted as the Air National Guard Assistant to the Air Mobility Command’s Director of Operations, where he is responsible for advising the director on policies and procedures for worldwide airlift, aerial refueling, aeromedical evacuation, and contingency response operations affecting more than 35,000 Air National Guard members.
General Jones began his career as a jet engine mechanic in the Nevada Air National Guard prior to attending the Academy of Military Science and earning a commission in the California Air National Guard. General Jones served in various command positions at the 146th Airlift Wing at both the squadron and group level. He deployed as a crewmember in support of Operations DESERT SHIELD, NOBLE EAGLE, and JOINT FORCE. In 2011, he deployed in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and NEW DAWN as the forward Senior Air Reserve Component Advisor to the Commander, United States Air Forces Central Command. Most recently, he deployed in support of Operations INHERENT RESOLVE and FREEDOM SENTINEL as the Director of Mobility Forces, United States Air Forces Central Command, Southwest Asia. He is a command pilot with more than 6,000 hours in the C-130E, C-130J, C-17, HH-60G, MC-130P. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Commander of the 129th Rescue Wing, Moffett Federal Airfield, California.
- 1987 Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
- 1993 United States Navy, Test Pilot School, Patuxent River, Md.
- 1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
- 2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
- 2006 Air War College, by correspondence
- 2010 Commanders Development Course
- 2010 Senior Leadership Maintenance Course, in residence
- 2010 United States Air Force Safety Center Investigation Board President Course, in residence
- 2013 Master of Arts in Management and Leadership, Webster University, Saint Louis, Missouri
- 2014 Reserve Component National Security Course National Defense University, in residence
- 2015 Joint Task Force Commanders Training Course, Peterson, Colo.
- 2016 Dual Status Commanders Course (NORTHCOM), in residence
- 2016 Joint & Combined Warfighting School (JCWS) JPME-II, in residence
- 2017 Director of Mobility Forces (DM4), in residence
- September 1987 – July 1988, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
- July 1988 – July 1992, C-130 Copilot, 115th Airlift Squadron, Channel Islands Air National Guard Station, Calif., (January 1991 –
February 1991, Deployed Aircrew, United States Central Command Air Forces, RAF Mildenhall, England)
- July 1992 – February 1996, C-130 Aircraft Commander, 115th Airlift Squadron, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif.
- February 1996 – December 2001, C-130 Instructor Pilot, 115th Airlift Squadron, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif.
- December 2001 – February 2005, C-130 Evaluator Pilot, 115th Airlift Squadron, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif.
- February 2005 – February 2006, Chief of Standardization / Evaluation, 146th Operations Group, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif.,
(February 2005 – Apr 2005, Deployed Aircrew, United States Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
- February 2006 – October 2007, Operations Officer, 115th Airlift Squadron, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif.
- October 2007 – August 2008, Commander, 115th Airlift Squadron, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif.
- August 2008 – March 2012, Commander, 146th Operations Group, Channel Islands ANGS, Calif. (December 2010 – June 2011,
Senior Air Reserve Component Advisor, United States Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
- March 2012 – February 2014, – Deputy Director, NGB/A3, ANG, Andrews AFB, Md.
- February 2014 – July 2014, Department of Defense Liaison to National Science Foundation, Ballston, Va.
- July 2014 – September 2016, Commander, 129th Rescue Wing, Moffett ANG Base, Calif.
- October 2016 – June 2017, Assistant Adjutant General, Sacramento, Calif.
- June 2017 – December 2017, AFCENT Dir of Mob For Deployment (DIRMOBFOR), Washington, D.C.
- December 2017 – Present, Assistant Adjutant General, Sacramento, California; dual-hatted, December 2017 – Present, Air
National Guard Assistant to the Director of Operations, Air Mobility Command (AMC/A3), Scott Air Force Base, Illinois
Awards and Decorations
- Legion of Merit
- Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Medal
- Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Rating: Command Pilot
- Flight Hours: More than 6000
- Aircraft Flown: C-130E, C-130J, C-17, HH-60G, MC-130P
- Pilot Wings: Williams Air Force Base, Arizona
Effective Dates of Promotions
- Second Lieutenant July 9, 1987
- First Lieutenant July 9, 1989
- Captain July 14, 1991
- Major Oct. 1, 1998
- Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 6, 2002
- Colonel Jun. 19, 2009
- Brigadier General Oct. 1, 2016
- Major General April 9, 2019