40ID Urban Operations Planner Course 2022-02
The primary objective of the course is for each student to improve their ability to successfully plan, conduct, and sustain urban operations. Each student will graduate from the course understanding capabilities for tactical units to conduct large scale combat operations (LSCO) in a dense urban environment with practical tools to address the challenges faced in the urban fight. The course is geared towards preparing Brigade and Division-level staff officers and enlisted personnel with the knowledge needed to conduct offensive, defensive, and stability operations in the urban environment. Prior to attending the course, students will benefit significantly from a review of the following publications: ATP 3-06 Urban Operations, ATP 3-21.51 Subterranean Operations, and TRADOC Pamphlet 525-92-1 The Changing Character of Warfare: The Urban Operational Environment (each are available at our website under the doctrine Tab).
Upon your arrival to JFTB Los Alamitos, all TDY students must report to the 40th Infantry Division classroom 1103 (11300 Lexington Drive, Bldg. 1000 Los Alamitos, CA. 90720-5176), between the hours of 1000-1900 on 9 July 2022. At this time, you will receive an orientation and conduct in-processing. Students and instructors may check-in with base billeting (4745 Yorktown Ave Bldg. 19 Los Alamitos, CA 90720-5176) 9 July, 2022 between the hours of 1400-2100. Students are required to arrive at JFTB Los Alamitos no earlier than 24 hours prior to start date, unless you coordinate with the 40ID Urban Operations team in advance. JFTB Los Alamitos requires either a Common Access Card or driver’s license to gain access to base. Base security will have an instructor and student roster at the gate for all course participants. In the event you have issues obtaining access to base please contact the course cadre by phone for assistance.
Student orders are the responsibility of your respective unit. Your parent unit is responsible for processing your pay and allowances as well as coordinating all your travel arrangements. Approved students may use line of accounting (LOA) for all CA ARNG Enlisted and Officers is 22 URBAN OFF/ENL. Please reach out to course cadre if you are unsure if you are approve to use LOA listed. Students must have finances in order prior to arrival. It is highly recommended students and instructors possess an active government travel card or equivalent travel credit card from your organization for TDY expenses.
Uniform for the course is the Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP), international students equivalent, and business casual for civilians. Washers and dryers are available in the billeting at building 56. Students that are not assigned in that building, must check out building key with billeting front disk during normal business hours. Students must provide their own laundry detergent. Washer is $1.75/load and $1.75/load to dry.
The minimum items required upon your arrival at in processing are as follows:
- Duty uniform for your military component
- CAC Card and driver’s license
- Civilian clothing for evening social events
- Note-taking material
- One printed copy of your military travel orders
Meals and Lodging:
Hotel accommodations have already been arranged for all students and instructors at JFTB lodging unless you elected to secure off-base lodging at your own expense. JFTB lodging (4745 Yorktown Ave Bldg. 19 Los Alamitos, CA 90720-5176) room rate ranges from $55-$90 per night. All students and instructors will need to secure their lodging reservation through base billeting at 562-795-2124 and provide a credit card number NLT June 24, 2022. Ensure you tell billeting that you are attending the Urban Operations Planner Course. All bed linen will be provided. Free Wi-Fi is available to all guests. Parking is free on base. For more information on base lodging please visit the Joint Forces Training Base NAF-MWR Website. Attached to base billeting is a restaurant and bar (The Pub at Fiddlers Green). Breakfast will be offered to the students and instructors daily from 0630-0730 in the small banquet room in bldg. 19. During check-in at JFTB billeting, a $56.00 charge will be added for the cost of breakfast for the course duration. Lunch will be catered for instructors and students throughout the course (see Landing Fee/Working Lunches below). JFTB Los Alamitos does not have a dining facility.
Landing Fee/Working Lunches:
Each student and instructor will pay the unreimbursed landing fee of $65 upon reporting. $65 will cover the daily catered lunches, coffee, water, refreshments, and the class social scheduled for 10JUL22. If you have any dietary needs or adjustments, please email details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are flying, the closest airport is the Long Beach Airport (LGB). Airports by distance is as follow:
- Long Beach Airport (LGB) – 6.3 miles (recommended)
- John Wayne Airport (SNA) – 19 miles
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) – 27 miles
- Ontario International Airport (ONT) – 47 miles
If travel by privately owned vehicle (POV) is not authorized on your orders, it is the responsibility of your unit to provide transportation to and from the course. Transportation for students to and from airports will not be provided. Taxi, Uber, and Lyft are available options for transport to and from the local airports. This expense is reimbursable on your travel voucher. Transportation to and from the airport for instructors will be provide upon request.
Strip map of all key locations for the course on can be found at the following on the 40ID COI page. Urban Operation JFTB Map (.pdf)
The daily schedule for the course can be found at the following on the 40ID COI page: 2022 Urban Operations Course Agenda (.pdf)
Course Cadre/Support Team:
MAJ Domonick Sylve – OIC
- Cell Phone: 562-852-9434
- WhatsApp: +15628529434
- Email: email@example.com
SFC Mark Matthews – NCOIC
- Cell Phone: 714-715-9967
- WhatsApp: +7147159967
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following pre-reading is assigned for each student to read prior to Day 1 of the course:
- ATP 3-06 Urban Operations (December 2017), Headquarters Department of the Army Headquarters United States Marine Corps, Chapter 1
- Introduction to Urban Warfare by Jesus F. Roman Garcia
Personal Computers/Tape Recorders:
Use of personal laptop and/or tape recorder is authorized for note taking. No loaner laptops will be available.
Class Social Events: There will be four optional class socials throughout the course. Scheduled social events are as follow:
- 10JUL – American Legion Post 716 Los Alamitos, CA
- 13JUL – Rock & Brews Buena Park, CA
- 14JUL – Ballast Point Brewing Long Beach, CA
- 15JUL – The Pub at Fiddlers Green JTFB Los Alamitos, CA
Base Amenities: The following base amenities are offered during the duration of the course:
- Base Gym – Open Monday-Sunday 0500-2200 need to confirm
- PX – Open Monday-Friday 0800-1700, Saturday 0800-1600, and Sunday 1000-1600
- The Pub at Fiddlers Green – Open Monday through Thursday 1100-2200, Friday 1100-2330, and Saturday 1600-2330; kitchen closes at 21:00
- Heroes & Legends Barbershop (directly across from The Pub at Fiddler’s Green) – Open Monday through Friday 0900-1800
- Navy Golf Course Cypress, CA (2.8 miles from base) – Open Monday-Sunday 0600-1700
Local Food Options:
- Vons (1.3 miles from base) (closest grocery store)
- Natura Bowls (0.5 miles)
- Katella Deli & Bakery (0.5 miles)
- Franco’s Italian Restaurant (1.1 miles)
- Mama’s Comfort Food & Cocktails (1.3 miles)
- Pho 99 Plus (1.4 miles)
- Original Fish Co. (1.4 miles)
- Paul’s Place (1.7 miles)
- In-N-Out Burger (2.5 miles)
- Spaghettini (2.8 miles)
- Olive Garden (2.9 miles)
- Sushi Forest (3.4 miles)
- 100% Fresh Subs & Salads (4.3 miles)
- Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que (4.4 miles)
- Emergency Information should be left with your family. Your family must initiate a Red Cross message if any adverse situations arise.
- Students will bring adequate funds for personal needs.
- Appropriate civilian attire is authorized for off-duty hours and social events.