Joint Task Force Rattlesnake
Joint Task Force Rattlesnake’s mission is to work alongside CALFIRE in order to help mitigate and prevent wildland fires through fuels mitigation projects and direct fire suppression.
Service members (SM) interested in joining JTFR must meet all requirements listed below. For any questions, comments, and/or concerns contact JTFR Battle Desk at email@example.com
- SM must be E-7 and below; Officers O-3 and below.
- SM must have minimum of twelve months remaining on their contract
- SM must be physically able to perform duties with zero restrictions and/or profiles
- SM must have a valid driver’s license
- SM must have no IMR deficiencies
- SM must have no Adverse Actions/Flags
- As a hand crew member, you will be responding to wildland fire incidents within your duty location and work on multiple fuels reduction projects throughout the year. Although day-to-day operations slightly vary per location; servicemembers (SM’s) will perform heavy physical work and assist in the maintenance of the grounds, tools, equipment, duty location housekeeping, light construction task, physical fitness, and constant trainings of fire suppression procedures and case studies. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: effectively and safely assisting in fire suppression operations as well as fuels reduction projects (to include; scraping, digging, limbing, felling, piling, pulling, chipping, burning piles, and igniting broadcast burns & back fires). SM’s must be able to competently use hand and power tools including chainsaws, pole saws, a Pulaski, mcleods, shovels, drip torches, and fuzees. Average monthly salary for enlisted SM’s is $8,280 – $10,530 (based on an average of 20 work days per month). Salary includes monthly clothing allowance, a medical stipend, and a compensation stipend. Monthly salary will increase if SM is activated on an incident for that day (Additional Duty Pay). Lodging and per diem is not provided by the Task Force.
- Pay is based on the Emergency Activation Pay (EAP) rates using SM’s current pay grade
- Attending IDT, AT, ADT, PME, and/or any other federal duty obligation while on JTFR is “mandatory”
- SM must be willing to work up to 12-24 hour shifts (to include weekends and/or holidays)
- SM’s must be willing to work in any of the following locations:
- Mendocino, Redding, Nevada City, San Jose, Monterey, Fresno, and Camp Roberts
To Volunteer for Joint Task Force Rattlesnake, please complete the Volunteer for Joint Task Force Rattlesnake Request.